This book contains five essays on the complexity of continuous problems, written for a wider audience.
- Henryk Woźniakowski and the complexity of continuous problems
- Complexity as a new challenge for mathematicians
- A brief history of information-based complexity
- How high is high-dimensional?
- What is information-based complexity?
The first four essays are based on talks presented in 2008 when Henryk Woźniakowski received an honorary doctoral degree of the Friedrich Schiller University of Jena. The focus is on introduction and history of the complexity of continuous problems, as well as on recent progress concerning the complexity of high-dimensional numerical problems. The last essay provides a brief and informal introduction to the basic notions and concepts of information-based complexity addressed to a general readership.